In The Dirt Instructors will be emphasizing the following points of emphasis in their instruction.
- Hands are key!
- Less is more when taking the front foot step
- Power "V"
- Perfect the small things - Drills
- Upward explosion of the back foot
- Back Spin - Hitters dream
- Kill the hands - Too many hand droppers
- Loaded position - How and when to get there
- Contact points
Throwing footwork on the "L"
Pop times to second base
Pitch recognition for the ball in the dirt
Blocking on the V
Calling a game
Keeping pitchers heads in the game
Being a coach on the field
Mentality behind the mask
Your team follows your drive and heart
- Receiving the ball (Ground ball, Thrown ball, and Fly ball)
- How to work towards receiving the short/quick hop (Forehand, backhand, and glove hand drills)
- The "Ripken Creep" with a focus on the ball off the bat
- Proper glove to hand transition with focus on proper grip
- Develop sound mechanics and arm strength
- Concentrate on direction and extension
- Emphasis on location and change of speed
- Master control of both the fast ball and the change up
- Work on holding runners on base